Second Judicial District Court Historical Perspective

Georgetta
Clel E Georgetta

JUDGE CLEL E. GEORGETTA

(1958-1962)

Clel Evan Georgetta was born in Salt Lake City, April 20, 1901. He spent his childhood on his father's ranch, the Eight-mile ranch, late Triune ranch on the Utah-Nevada line in Deep Creek Valley, and in school in Salt Lake City. He graduated from high school in 1920 and that year took over the sheep business at the Eight-mile ranch. During the next decade he extended the ranch property from 400 to 7,000 acres and also finished a university education, first at University of Nevada, then University of Washington Law School where, in the latter, he won trophies as a debater. He also dabbled in mining in Nevada and continuing to run the ranch which he had christened Triune, he built a 12 room house on the property. He suffered severe losses during the depression, but opened a law office in Ely where he was able to handle a good clientele. He had been admitted to the bar in both Utah and Nevada in 1930. In 1931 he served in the Nevada legislature as assemblyman from White Pine County. In 1933 he opened a law office in Reno, later building the Triune building on State Street. He served in World War II as captain, Major and Lt. Colonel. In 1958 he was appointed by Governor Russell as District Judge of Second District and remained in the position until 1962. At present, he has a Reno law office. Judge Georgetta is also the author of several law books, one being a handbook of jury instructions much used. He also authored a book of short stories entitled Wool, Beef and Gold. Judge Georgetta has one daughter, recently married in the east.
Footer

Second Judicial District Court
75 Court St.
Reno, Nevada, 89501